We selected the 12 best litter boxes for large cats after researching for 56+ hours and analyzing 30+ top litter boxes for their dimensions, ease of use, effectiveness in odor trapping, and durability.
The main reason why a cat would not use the litter box is that she is not comfortable while using it. Now the main problem with the large cats not finding the litter box comfortable is because of its size. Hence you should get a litter box that is spacious enough for your large cats.
Additionally, the large litter boxes can also hold up litter in large amounts and thus will not require frequent refills. This also makes them suitable for multi-cat households where there is a high usage of the litter box.
A Glance of Our Favorites in 2023
Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Provide privacy to your cat while using the litter box
- Easy to scoop and clean
- Includes disposable filter
PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box
- The grated surface on exit reduces tracking
- Fully automatic and self-cleaning litter box
- Built-in health counter helps you to know how many times your kitty has used the box
The 12 Best Litter Boxes For Large Cats Reviews of 2023
1. Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
If you are looking for the best litter box for your large cat and are not willing to pay a hefty amount then this litter box will be the right choice for you. The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan is big enough to accommodate large cats as well as multi-cat households.
The hooded cat litter provides privacy to your cat while using the litter box and retaining the litter inside the pan. It also features a removable hood and door flap which makes it easy to scoop, clean, and refill the litter box.
To conclude, we think this is the overall best litter box for large cats.
- Dimensions: 22.4 x 17 x 18.3 inches
- Room space: 4.03 cubic foot
- Weight: 1.68 Pounds
- Type: Hooded cat litter box
The enclosed design with the door flap not only provides privacy but also traps the odor. The flap door and high-sided walls also limit tracking. Moreover, it also includes a disposable filter that absorbs the odor coming out of the litter box.
- Enclosed provides privacy to your cats, prevents spraying, and reduces tracking outside the litter box
- The carbon filter to remove litter pan odor
- Removable plastic door and top hood for easy access for scooping cleaning
- The door flap is made up of very thin plastic
Did you check out the best covered cat litter box, if you are willing to buy one then you should not miss this article? The complete information is provided about the covered litter box
2. PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box
The PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Litter Box is the best litter box for large cats as once you get this so you won’t have to put more effort into maintaining it on a daily basis, unlike the traditional ones. This self-cleaning litter box keeps itself tidy without the need for scooping, cleaning, or refilling for weeks.
The crystal cat litter to be used with it absorbs liquids and dehydrates solid waste which is then shoved away into the covered trap with the help of automatic rake. Moreover, the litter crystals won’t stick to the cat’s paws much, but the design of this litter box with a grated surface adds up extra protection from tracking.
- Dimensions: 26.5 x 19 x 16.5 inches
- Room space: 4.80 cubic foot
- Weight: 21 pounds
- Type: Automatic self-cleaning litter box
This automatic litter box is available in top entry and front entry variants from which you can choose the one base on your cat’s preference. Both the variants provide you hassle-free cleaning with the help of disposable tray that can be disposed of in the trash once it has become dirty.
It has a built-in health counter that tells you how many times your cat has used the box. Using this you can keep a track of your cat’s habit and record any unusual behavior and share the results with your veterinarian.
- Fully automatic and self cleaning litter box which can be used with disposable tray through which you will never have to touch the cat’s waste with your hands
- Built-in health counter lets you lets you track daily habit of your cats
- The grated surface on exit reduces tracking
- Costlier as compared to other litter boxes
3. IRIS Jumbo Litter Box with Scoop
Looking for a cheaper litter box for your large cat? The IRIS Jumbo Litter Box is a budget-friendly high-sided open-top litter box that is suitable for large cats as well as multi-cat households. The sides and back of the litter container are high enough to keep litter from scattering on the floor. Moreover, its high walls also prevent the cat from spraying outside the litter box.
This litter box includes a matching litter scoop with polished interiors to which the waste won’t stick. Its open-top design provides easy accessibility for scooping out the waste from the litter. Moreover, the removable top unit makes cleaning or refilling the litter box convenient.
- Dimensions: 19.00″L x 15. 00″W x 11. 75″H
- Room space: 1.94 cubic foot
- Weight: 1.96 Pounds
- Type: High-sided open top litter box
- Scoop Included
The recessed grooves and sturdy feet on the bottom keep the litter box in place and prevent it from sliding while your cat is using it. The high sides shielded pans reduce litter from tracking and prevent urine spray from coming out of the box.
- Available at a budget-friendly price
- Low front side for easy entry and exit
- High-polished interior surface for easy cleaning
- The clumping litter might stick to the grooves provided on the bottom sides if not cleaned over long time
Did you learn about the best affordable top entry litter box, here you go.
4. Petmate Giant Litter Pan
Looking for a big litter box for cats? The Petmate Litter Pan is one of the largest litter boxes on our list. With the dimension of 34.7×19.8×10 inches, it can hold more than 30 pounds of litter. The giant size also makes it suitable for large cats or households with multiple cats. Moreover, with this capacity, you will also not need to refill the litter very frequently.
This extra long litter box contains two side storage compartments for the convenient placing of scoops and disposal bags. A comfort-grip rim is also provided on all sides of the cat litter box, which allows you to lift and move the pan with ease.
- Dimensions: 34.7 x 19.8 x 10 inches
- Room space: 3.98 cubic foot
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Type: Open Top Litter Tray
- Litter capacity of 30 pounds
This giant cat litter box features a wide base that prevents it from tipping and high walls for litter-free floors. It also features antimicrobial protection to help prevent the growth of stain & odor-causing bacteria.
- Giant litter box can hold 30 pounds of the litter so that you do not have to change frequently
- The wide base prevents the litter box from tipping
- Two extra storage compartments were provided to store scoops and disposables
- Not suitable for cats who spray high
5. Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Box
This disposable litter box from Nature’s Miracle is made from breathable material that enhances the airflow through the litter pan reducing moisture that contributes to odor build-up keeping your litter dryer and fresher longer.
It will not leak or shred like plastic liners and provides an easy clean-up that is safe for landfills. Moreover, it is made from recycled paper and hence it is not only disposable but also environment-friendly.
It is made up of sturdy material which makes it strong enough to be used alone or as a litter box liner. It is built with a mixture of baking soda that provides extra protection against the tough litter box and ammonia odors. Additionally, its breathable material enhances airflow for reduced moisture and odor buildup which keeps the litter drier and fresher longer.
- Dimensions: 21 x 15.2 x 7.8 inches
- Room space: 1.44 cubic foot
- Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Type: Disposable Litter Box
- Built-in baking soda
With this disposable litter box, you will not need to scrub the bottom of your litter box. All you have to do is scoop daily while maintaining two to three inches of litter and then dispose of the pan after four weeks.
- The disposable litter box eliminates the need to scrub and deep-clean unlike the plastic litter boxes
- Made from breathable material that enhances airflow which reduces moisture that contributes to odor build-up
- Since it is a disposable litter box so it can be used for a longer period of time and needs to be disposed of
6. Petmate Booda Dome Clean Step Cat Litter Box
Some cats prefer to use the litter box in a private environment and require more privacy. The Petmate Booda Dome-Shaped Clean Step Litter Box is designed for the same purpose. Its hooded top gives your furry family friend the privacy they like in an attractive form.
It is 50% larger than an average box which makes it perfect for your large cats. Its unique & sleek design with ramp contains litter scatters, minimizing tracking and overflow. The built-in handle makes moving and cleaning convenient.
- Dimensions: 22.5 x 22.5 x 19 inches
- Room space: 5.57 cubic foot
- Weight: 7.88 Pounds
- Type: Dome-shaped enclosed litter box
- Curved non-stick plastic walls
It features an enclosed design which in addition to providing privacy also contains scattered litter. The dome is equipped with a charcoal filter that traps odors as they rise from the cat litter pan. Moreover, the litter box is made in the USA from durable non-stick plastic material which is not only easy to clean but also long-lasting.
- The dome shape provides complete privacy to cats while using the litter box
- The grooved clean-step entrance wipes cat’s paws and reduces tracking
- Since it is a completely enclosed design so if it is not cleaned regularly then it can promote bacteria growth within the box
7. Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box
The high wall design of Nature’s Miracle Litter Box prevents your kitty’s litter from finding its way out of the box and helps to keep the litter contained exactly where it should be. It is large enough for multi-cat households but can also be used by single large cat breeds like Maine coons.
Its non-stick surface eliminates litter caking and buildup and makes cleaning fast and hassle-free. The antimicrobial coating prevents bacteria from forming inside the litter box. These features not only provide easy and convenient cleaning but also keep your cat’s environment hygienic and safe.
- Dimensions: 23.4 x 18.2 x 11 inches
- Room space: 2.71 cubic foot
- Weight: 1.85 pounds
- Type: High-sided open top litter box
- Antimicrobial coating
This open litter box design makes it easy to scoop and clean and thus will prevent the litter from becoming dirty and saturated sooner. Additionally, it is big enough to be used for multiple cats, and it is also spacious enough to be used by large cat breeds.
- The high sides of this litter box prevent large cats from spraying outside the box
- Non-stick surface for easy cleaning
- Does not have a top hood so cats who need privacy might hesitate in using the litter box
8. Frisco High Sided Extra Large Cat Litter Box
The Frisco High Sided Extra Large Cat Litter Box not only keeps the litter from scattering outside the box but also reduces the spraying by large cats to the minimum. The lowered front wall also makes it easy to enter and exit the litter box.
It is made from durable and high-quality plastic that is comfortable on your cat’s paws. Moreover, it is BPA-free and completely recyclable hence an ecofriendly product. Additionally, the extra-large litter box provides sufficient for even larger cats to use it comfortably.
- Dimensions: 24 x 18 x 10 inches
- Room space: 2.5 cubic foot
- Type: Open top litter box
The open design makes it easy to scoop and clean the litter box regularly. It can be cleaned easily with the help of soap and water and due to its smoother and non-sticky design, no scrubbing or scrapping will be required.
- Completely recyclable litter box
- Easily cleans with soap and water
- The high sides limit tracking and prevent large cats from spraying outside the box
- The liners for this litter box are not easily available
9. Pet Zone Smart Scoop Automatic Litter Box
The Smart Scoop Automatic Litter Box from Pet Zone is a self-scooping litter box with a smart sensor for triggered activation of the cleaning cycle that scoops fifteen minutes after your cat leaves the box. After 15 minutes the waste unit automatic rake moves across the litter box and rakes any waste that has been left.
This litter box not only scoops the waste automatically but after the waste unit has fully scooped all the waste up then it drops it into the waste collection bin. Because of this once your waste collection bin is full, all you need to do is simply remove the tray and take off the waste bag to dispose it of.
- Dimensions: 26.5 x 16.9 x 7.6 inches
- Room space: 1.97 cubic foot
- Weight: 9.3 pounds
- Type: Automatic Litter Box
- No-touch disposable waste bags
It is designed in a way that its angled deflectors with fins and raised height ensure the clumps stay inside the litter pan. The carbon filter on the bin keeps the litter area smelling fresh with the help of carbon zeolite technology.
- Convenient and easy to use the self-cleaning litter box
- Affordable refills
- Smoother and quieter operation
- The motor needs manual resetting when it turns old
10. Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box
This Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box from Petphabet is large enough that even two average-sized cats can use it at the same time. The jumbo size makes it suitable for even multi-cat households. It is also available in three different attractive colors; Blue, Purple, and Teal, so you can choose the one which suits your aesthetic appearance.
It comes with a removable top cover that provides an enclosed environment in which your cats won’t feel closed since it is transparent. This design with the high back reduces spillover and tracking in addition to providing privacy to your cats.
- Dimensions: 24.8″L x 20″W x 16.5″H
- Room space: 4.74 cubic foot
- Weight: 3.21 pounds
- Type: Hooded Litter Box
The litter box is made from a durable plastic material which not only makes it long lasting but also makes it easy to clean. Moreover, the top hood can be removed so as to make it convenient to scoop out the waste whenever you want.
- Removable hood makes scooping and cleaning process easier
- The rounded and extra-spacious provides sufficient and comfortable for your cats
- Made from clumsy plastic material
11. Van Ness Odor Control Extra Giant Enclosed Cat Pan
The Extra Giant Enclosed Cat Pan from Van Ness is suitable for large cats because of its giant size. It is even ideal for households with multiple cats. It comes with a flap that stops the odor from spreading throughout the room. Moreover, the flap is also removable so that you can remove it if it is not necessary.
In addition to the enclosed design, it provides effective odor control with the help of the Zeolite air filter. Additionally, the filter is replaceable hence you can put the new filter whenever the effectiveness of the old filter has reduced. Moreover, its enclosed & raised design prevents large cats from spraying outside the litter box.
- Dimensions: 21.5 x 17.5 x 18 inches
- Room space: 3.92 cubic foot
- Weight: 3 Pounds
- Type: Enclosed cat litter
The litter box is made from FDA approved plastic that is sturdy enough to provide it durability and make it long-lasting. Moreover, the high polished finish is odor & stain resistant thus you won’t have scrap or scrub, which makes it easy to clean.
- Comes with a removable flap so you can remove it of not needed
- The high sided litter box traps odor and limits tracking
- Because of the flaps the litter box does not remain well ventilated, however, the flaps can be removed
12. IRIS Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box with Scoop
The IRIS Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box provides sufficient room for even large cats making it perfect for large breed adult cats like Maine coon. It comes with a flap entry door that odor and spray contained. Moreover, it also reduces litter tracking significantly as it stops the litter from scattering outside the box.
The litter box has a handle on the lid that make the portability easy. Its secure buckles make assure that the top hood does not come out easily from the bottom unit of the litter box. A scoop is also included with it which can be stored away with the scoop clip feature provided on the litter box.
- Dimensions: 21 x 18.8 x 17 inches
- Room space: 3.88 cubic foot
- Weight: 4 Pounds
- Type: Hooded litter box
- Scoop included
It has a quick access lift top which is easily accessible for convenient scooping. Moreover, the upper hood is removable with the help of buckles provided on the sides hence you can easily remove them whenever you want to clean or refill the litter box.
- The flap entry keeps the litter contained and traps the odor
- Handle provided on the top of the litter box for easy handling
- The door flap which has been provided with the litter box is not very durable and might show some problems in functioning after using it for sometime
Buyer’s Guide for Litter Box for Large Cats
There can be certain confusions that you can have regarding the litter boxes for your large cats. So to solve all of your confusion with the litter box for large cats, we have made this descriptive buyer’s guide. We have also mentioned how to choose the best litter box for your large cat so that you can get the most suitable litter box for your kitty.
Why Do You Need a Big Litter Box for Your Large Cat?
There is one big reason why you should get a giant litter box for your large box. This is because your cat won’t use the box if she doesn’t fit in it. The length of any litter box should be 1.5 the length of your cat’s body.
So no matter how good a litter is and no matter whichever litter you are using, your kitty won’t use the litter box if she doesn’t comfortably fit in it.
In addition to this, the opening of the litter box should be also wide enough so that she can enter or exit easily. And all this is only possible only if you get the best litter box of appropriate size for your large cat.
How to Choose the Best Litter Box for Large Cats?
Now as you know that you should get the litter box of appropriate size which is at least 1.5 times large than the length of your cat. However, this is not the only parameter that you will have to consider. So here we have listed out the important features and factors that you should consider in order to get the best litter box for large cats:
- Open or Enclosed?
Whether you should get an open or closed litter box for your large cat is not just a matter of privacy. The enclosed litter boxes provide more odor control but need to be cleaned more frequently to prevent bacteria growth. On the other hand, an open litter box would be easier to scoop.
You should also consider the cat’s preference before choosing the litter box. Most of the litter trained cats prefer enclosed or hooded litters and a few of them prefer the open litter box. So check your cat’s preference before choosing any litter box.
As mentioned earlier, the size of the litter box should be 1.5 times the length of the cat. For adult cats, you can follow this fixed ratio. However, for kittens, consider purchasing a larger size as ultimately your kitties will grow up in size as they age.
Moreover, a litter box of larger size is always the most preferable option even if it gives more than sufficient space to your cat unless you don’t have any problem if the box takes up little extra space.
- High Sided Walls
Cats of the larger size usually have a habit of peeing high on the walls of the litter box. If in this case, the sides are not high enough then the cats might end up spraying outside the litter box. This problem can be solved by taking a large litter box with high sides.
Moreover, a litter box with high sided walls will also provide privacy to your cat even if it is open on the top. Due to this, cats who want more privacy will also prefer these types of litter boxes.
If you are traveling then you might need a small litter box for travel. Do you want to know how you can select the best traveling litter box, here you go.
What is the best litter box for large cats?
The PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box is the best litter box for large cats. This jumbo litter box is big enough to accommodate large cats as well as multi-cat households. With this litter box no scooping, cleaning, or refilling would be required for weeks.
Do cats prefer open or closed litter boxes?
No proper research have been done to evaluate whether cats prefer open or enclosed litter box. However, based on the experiences and opinions of the cat parents it can be concluded that most of the litter trained cat to prefer hooded or enclosed litter boxes, whereas, felines are not litter trained would be okay with open as well as enclosed litter boxes.
Do cats need a big litter box?
As a general rule, the litter box should measure 1.5 times the length of your cat. With this ratio, the cat will be able to use the litter box comfortable. A size larger than that will also be comfortable for kitty.
So yes, cats certainly need a big litter box so that they can comfortably use it.
Why do cats pee outside litter box?
Cats generally pee outside their litter box if it is not clean or the cats are not comfortable with the litter or the box. In this case, make sure that you do regular cleaning and daily scooping of the litter. Also, see to it that your kitty is comfortable with the litter as well as the litter box as this might also be the reason why she is not using the litter box.
If you do not see your cat peeing outside the box but still see their waste on the floor then that would be because your cat is spraying high and in that case, you need a large litter box with high sides to prevent that.
How much does cat litter box for large cats costs?
The litter box for large cats cost around the same as the normal litter boxes and there is not a significant difference in the price for their size. However, most of the large litter boxes are available are in shape of pan with wide top, these types of litter box cost around $15 to $20.
On the other hand, the covered litter boxes or the ones with high sides for large cats can cost around $25 to $50. Whereas, the automatic litter boxes cost higher than $100.
What is the largest covered cat litter box?
The Petmate Booda Dome Clean Step Cat Litter Box is the largest covered cat litter box on our list. If you are looking for the largest covered cat litter with self-cleaning then the PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Litter Box would be the best option for you.
The Final Note
We hope we made it easy for you to choose the best litter box for large cats. If at any point you are confused in selecting the litter box for your kitty then get PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box as not only it is spacious and comfortable for large cats but being automatic and self-cleaning also makes the litter box management convenient for you as well.