As cats start aging, you must choose homemade cat food recipes for senior cats! Since their nutrition needs start changing. You have to keep an eye on what goes on in their daily diet, as the diet needs to have an appropriate nutrient limit.
When cats get older, their metabolism slows down. Therefore, senior cats require lesser calories, so you need to watch over your cat’s daily food intake.
Likewise, with the perfect nutrition, you can add years to your cat’s life and slow down the progression of several diseases. Besides, homemade cat food recipes for senior cats can help older cats, particularly the high-protein and less-carbohydrate balance can prevent obesity in cats.
DIY Homemade Cat Food Recipes for Older Cats
Your older cat is no different from an elderly person — she has specific nutritional requirements. And feeding her homemade cat food can be a great idea. With the best homemade cat food recipes for senior cats, your furry pal will be in good hands.
Below are nine homemade recipes of cat food for senior cats that are perfectly healthy.
Recipe 1: Chicken & Egg Mix
- Air-Tight Container
- 4 lbs Chicken Thighs
- 7 oz Chicken Liver
- 12 oz Chicken Heart
- 2 cups Water
- 4 Eggs
- 200 mg Vitamin B Supplement
- 1200 mg Taurine
- Remove the skin of the chicken, and dice most of the thigh meat into tiny bite-sized portions.4 lbs Chicken Thighs
- You can crush the rest of the meat — chicken liver, chicken heart, bones. Make a proper blend.7 oz Chicken Liver, 12 oz Chicken Heart
- Next, mix all the supplements in one plate or bowl, along with eggs and water. Make sure the eggs are whipped correctly.4 Eggs, 200 mg Vitamin B Supplement, 2 cups Water
- Combine all the mixture and mix the blend thoroughly. You can add taurine as per your vet’s recommendation.1200 mg Taurine
- You can store the leftovers in an airtight container for later use. Freeze the rest of the feed after putting a few days' worths of the meal in the fridge.
Recipe 2: Chicken & Vegetables
|Brewer’s Yeast||3 teaspoons|
|Green Beans||1 cup|
- Add chicken, celery leaves, salt, and water in a big stockpot.
- Cover the stockpot and bring it to a boil. Keep cooking for around an hour until the chicken is tender.
- Take the chicken out after it has been cooked. Strain the broth into a vessel and chill it in the refrigerator until the surface is covered in fat. Then remove the fat.
- Discard the skin and bones out from the chicken. Cut the rest of the meat into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Now, add the broth to the pot, along with the rest of the ingredients — carrots, barley, brewer’s yeast. Cover the pot and simmer the blend for around 20 minutes.
- Next, add chicken, spinach, and green beans to the mixture. Cook until the beans are tender.
- Cool it down before serving.
- Freeze the rest of the feed in the freezer for later.
Recipe 3: Tuna & Rice
|White Rice||1/2 cup|
|Chicken Liver||30 grams|
|Chopped Parsley||5-10 grams|
- Boil white rice and drain the tuna.
- Grind the liver in a fine blend.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Make five to ten small balls and then form them into patties.
- It’s ready to serve. Store the rest in the refrigerator for later consumption.
Recipe 4: Mackerel Dinner
|Sunflower Seed Oil||1 tablespoon|
|Brown Rice||1/4 cups|
- Combine all the ingredients in the blender.
- Make it in puree form.
- You can serve right away. Freeze the leftover for later consumption.
Recipe 5: Trout With Egg
|Sunflower Oil||2 tablespoon|
- Boil the egg and broccoli.
- Combine all the ingredients in the blender. Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil to the mixture.
- Blend until it is in puree form.
- It is ready to be served right away. Store the leftover for later consumption.
Recipe 6: Classic Chicken
|Boneless Chicken Breast||1/2 lbs|
|Olive Oil||2 tablespoons|
- Boil the chicken; you can also keep it raw if you prefer that.
- Boil the egg and cut it into small pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl and mix it well.
- Before serving, heat the mix.
Recipe 7: Sardine Treat
|Oatmeal (Cooked)||1/3 cups|
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Freeze the leftovers for later use.
Recipe 8: Rabbit and Chicken
|Rabbit Meat||2 lbs|
|Boneless Chicken||1 lb|
|Fish Oil||2 teaspoons|
- Grind the rabbit meat along with the chicken into small pieces.
- Bake the chicken meat and rabbit meat at 350 °F for 15 to 20 minutes, leaving about half of the meat uncooked.
- Create a mixture of supplements with egg and water.
- Combine the meat with the mixture.
- You can refrigerate the feed for later use.
Recipe 9: Chicken & Vegetables (For Diabetic Senior Cats)
|Brown Rice||1/2 cup|
|Organic Chicken||1/2 cup|
|Carrots or Green Beans||1/4 cup|
|Raw Chicken Liver||1/2 cup|
|Vegetable Broth||1/4 cup|
- Boil brown rice.
- Boil the vegetables and keep the broth for later use.
- Now take a large bowl and combine all the ingredients in it.
- Mix the mixture to the desired consistency.
- Serve it warm and in small proportions.
And there you have it, folks! These were some of the best homemade cat food recipes for senior cats that you can make at home for your senior cats. They provide your feline companions with essential vitamins and minerals from home-cooked food.
And now, when you know how to make these foods, maintaining a proper diet balance of your senior cat becomes much easy.
But before you consider turning to homemade senior cat food, you must consult with your veterinarian first.