Every cat’s parents want their kitty to live a long and healthy life!
Taking care of their beloved feline is a top priority for pet parents. Especially, if felines are diagnosed with any severe health issues, because they won’t be able to express their pain. It’s your responsibility to observe and solve their issue.
This is one of the reasons that many pet parents are interested in serving homemade food to their sick felines. Because they know exactly what ingredients are being used, and according to their health issue they can tweak the ingredients to prepare healthy food.
Keeping this in mind we have come up with healthy yet tasty dishes for your feline suffering from urinary issues.
Let’s explore homemade cat food recipes for UTIs, your kitty will surely enjoy the taste of these healthy dishes.
Key Factors for Ideal Diet for Cats With UTI
Here are a few highlighted points, which you should know before preparing homemade food for your feline with urinary tract issues. It will give you fruitful knowledge about the calorie intake, essential nutrients, and diet ideas that should be included in her regular meal.
Wet food is the best option for felines diagnosed with urinary tract health problems because it contains a generous amount of liquid, which helps to flush out bacteria from the uterus, and bladder.
If you wish to switch to homemade food it will be beneficiary to your kitty. As it will help to boost her immune system to fight against the infection. Make sure you feed her wet food because it will keep her body hydrated throughout the day.
For instance, if you are feeding animal-based items like chicken, or turkey then make sure you serve it with gravy or chicken broth, or any other tasty liquid that feline pal enjoys.
Calories Intake Ratio
If you are planning to switch to homemade food then seek your vet’s help, and prepare your sick feline diet chart accordingly. It will help you to keep a track of calorie intake per day because felines suffering from urinary infections need to be careful about their weight.
Plus, eating habits need to be controlled so that infection doesn’t spread to other organs of the body, and leads to severe health issues.
For instance, around 280 calories should be intake per day, so if you are serving homemade food you will be able to add ingredients accordingly.
Aside from medications, felines suffering from urinary tract issues also require proper balanced diet for a speedy recovery.
Homemade food is the ultimate choice for them because fresh ingredients will be used, oil and butter will be used in an appropriate ratio, and no fillers will be included to enhance the taste.
Ingredients like flax, salmon, and healthy oil are rich in nutrients which is sufficient to complete her healthy diet.
Benefits of Homemade Cat Food for Cats With UTIs
It has been noted that if felines are given the proper care they live longer, and with no such severe underlying health issues. Healthy homemade food is ideal for felines suffering from any urinary infections or urinary tract issues.
This is because it will contain low or no ash, and will be high in moisture which is good for felines with UTI issues. It helps to fight against the infection, and reduce the risk of a stone issue in your feline’s urine.
Here we have dropped down a few benefits which will give you a clear image.
Increase Life Span
If serving homemade food can increase her life span then who doesn’t want to do it, right?
Healthy homemade food is an ideal option for felines suffering from urinary infections because they need a hydrated meal enriched with essential nutrients. And nothing can beat the benefit of homemade food.
Boost Energy Level
Healthy homemade food can give your feline pal an improved immune system, which helps to boost her energy level. In addition, it also helps organs to function well for easy digestion.
Instead of feeling lethargy, or restless due to urinary issue, she will feel energetic and healthy if proper diet and medication is followed as discussed with the vet.
Serving healthy homemade food helps to maintain your feline’s weight. As only natural ingredients are being consumed, and no extra toppings are added to the dish. So, ultimately her body will function well, and control her from gaining weight.
Plus, felines suffering from urinary tract issues need to be monitored wisely so they won’t be able to eat any extra meals or treats.
Control Underlying Health Diseases
One of the benefits of feeding homemade cat food to your sick feline is that it helps to control major health complications. For instance, on a regular basis if you are only serving her homemade food it means her body is getting natural ingredients, which is good for her digestive health.
And, another reason you are focusing more on a liquid diet is to keep her body hydrated, there are fewer chances of any urinary infections.
So, it ultimately stops the development of any severe health problems in her body. Also helps to decrease the risk of uterus cancer.
5 Easy Homemade Cat Foods for Urinary Tract Problems
Serving homemade food is a great idea because knowing exactly what your kitty is eating will give you mental satisfaction, and she will be receiving all-natural ingredients with no chemicals or preservatives.
Regular serving homemade food will help to boost her immune system to fight against the infection and stay healthy.
Recipe 1: Beef and Vegetable Soup
- Boiling Pot
- Spoon, Knife
- Cooking pot
- Storage container
- 800 ml Water
- 2 Ounce Beef
- 1/4 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 pieces Carrots
- Take a boiling pot, add 800 ml of water and let it boil for few minutes.
- Once water is boiled enough add beef.
- Meanwhile take carrots and few peas chop them finely and add to boiling pot.
- Let the soup simmer until meat residue fallen off the beef bones, and vegetables are boiled enough to eat.
- Let it rest for an hour so that ingredients mix well with each other.
- Now, your feline pal's healthy soup is ready to serve.
- Leftovers can be store in air-tight container.
It is important to note that adding only a small amount of salt to a cat’s diet is safe. According to AAFCO officials, salt should be added between 20 and 40 mg to a cat’s diet. Anything more than that could be harmful.
Recipe 2: Chicken Pot
|Steamed Carrot||1/4 cup|
|Chicken Broth||1/4 cup|
|Steamed Broccoli||1 teaspoon|
- Take a boiling pot and add three ounces of chicken.
- Follow the same for veggies like carrots, broccoli let them simmer for a while until their texture becomes soft.
- You can form a puree or else put all the ingredients in one pan.
- Add chicken broth as needed to make food soupy.
- Now the soupy chicken pot is ready to serve. You can even store the leftovers in an air-tight container.
Recipe 3: Turkey and Chicken Deluxe
|Turkey Neck (Boneless)||2 pounds|
|Rice Flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Organic Chicken Broth||1 Tablespoon|
|Organic Turkey Broth||1 Tablespoon|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, after that place the turkey neck in the oven and let it bake for around 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile get ready with your other ingredients like rice flour, chicken and turkey broth.
- Once your turkey is baked let it cool down to room temperature then start deboning it. Make sure that no bones should be left.
- After that shift to the blending procedure, put chopped turkey pieces in a blending jar, and blend them finely. No lumps or bone should be there because it will be dangerous for your feline.
- Take a pot and add all the ingredients (including chicken and turkey broth) together. Stir them together on a low flame for around 10 minutes.
- Now you can serve your kitty this delicious turkey and chicken deluxe and leftovers can be stored in a refrigerator for later usage.
Recipe 4: Cottage Cheese Beef With Alfalfa Gravy
|Ground Beef||1 ounce|
|Brown Rice||1/4 cup|
|Cottage Cheese||3/4 cup|
|Alfalfa Sprouts||6 Tablespoon|
- Boil ground beef in lukewarm water.
- Follow the same for brown rice.
- After the boiling procedure shifts to frying one.
- Take a frying pan and grease it well with one teaspoon of butter or oil.
- Simply place the boiled chopped beef in the pan.
- You can take alfalfa sprout powder or can even crush it in form of a paste.
- Now, it’s time to add a final touch, mix all the ingredients well followed by steamed brown rice.
- Let the food simmer for a while to enhance the flavor.
- At the time of serving shred some cottage cheese on the top to give a tempting taste and texture. Remember don’t overload it with cheese.
Recipe 5: Chicken Pot Luck Recipe
|Chicken Dark Meat||3 ounces|
|Sweet Potato||1/4 cup|
- Take a boiling pot and add three ounces of chicken.
- After that peel off the sweet potato and let it boil for ten minutes.
- Now take a saucepan and grease it with butter or oil, and add finely chopped chicken to the pan.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- You can add oatmeal with the chicken or else can boil and serve it separately.
Can cats with UTIs eat tuna?
It’s a big no to consume tuna for felines who are suffering from urinary tract issues. This is because tuna includes a high level of minerals which is not good for their health as it leads to bladder stone issues. On the other hand, it also includes unsaturated fat which can lead to severe underlying health issues in the future such as “steatitis”.
Does wet food help with UTIs?
If your feline is suffering from a UTI problem you can feed her wet food because it will be convenient for her to consume, and will easily dissolve in her stomach. It is common for cats to encounter UTI problems that’s why vets suggest going for hydrated, wet food for easy digestion.
Is chicken broth good for cats with UTIs?
Chicken broth includes nutrients and minerals that can help to fight against UTI infection. You can add chicken broth to your feline’s homemade dish it won’t harm her digestive system.
Homemade food is the ideal option for cats with UTIs because it not only helps to regulate body function but also boosts the immune system to fight against infections.
Experts suggest serving wet food to felines with urinary tract issues because it is important to keep them hydrated and provide food with high moisture content.
You can try our homemade cat food recipes for urinary tract issues, your kitty will surely enjoy the taste. Make sure that you give her time to switch from custom foods to homemade foods.
- Piyarungsri, K., Tangtrongsup, S., Thitaram, N. et al. Prevalence and risk factors of feline lower urinary tract disease in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Sci Rep 10, 196 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-56968-w
- Retrospective analysis of diagnoses and outcomes of 45 cats with micturition disorders presenting as urinary incontinence. (n.d.). Retrieved November 25, 2022, from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jvim.15683
- Urinary Tract Disorders in Cats. (2019, October 6). Veterinary Medicine at Illinois. https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet-health-columns/urinary-tract-disorders-cats/