Cat litter is one of the essential items that need to be there in your parenting checklist. As a cat parent, you want your feline to be surrounded by a fresh environment and use the tidy boxes for their business, and this can happen only by choosing the correct litter for your feline friend.
Our review on the best cat litter in the UK will guide you to purchase wisely as it not only includes product details but also cover the factors which are present in the top cat litters.
Let’s explore the product and make a wise decision.
A Glance of Our Favorites in 2023
Precious Cat Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Cat Litter
- Dust-free and non-tracking in nature
- Odor control
- Ideal pick choice for multi-cat household
Tofucat Flushable Cat Litter
- Includes activated charcoal and fiber pea
- Easy to clean the litter box
- Easy to transport and reduce dust generation
The 11 Best Cat Litter in the UK Reviews
1. Precious Cat Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Cat Litter
Dr.Elsey’s Precious Cat Litter is our overall premium choice from the list of cat litter stocks in the UK market. It is made from natural clay grains that help to clump the solid granules quickly and prevent them from dribbling down the litter box.
As we know, a majority of the cat breed avoid scented fragrance litter, they get fussy or cranky. So if your kitty is one of them, then try this cat litter offered by Dr.Elsey’s because it does not include any additives and is hypoallergenic in nature, which is good for your feline friend’s health.
A friendly tip for you, try to keep your kitty’s litter box away from the traffic area and scoop out the waste on a regular basis as it will keep the box fresh and tidy and your feline friend will love to use it for their business.
- This cat litter won’t stick to your cat’s paw as it is 99.9% dust-free and non-tracking in nature, so your house will also remain clean no footprints will be found on the floor.
- Its odor control tactics are useful and ideal pick choice, especially for multi-cat households as it will provide natural odor and keep your house fresh throughout the day.
- Precious cat litter offers hard clumping, so don’t worry about the cleaning procedure as it will not take much time.
- No chemical formula or additive fragrances are included in this litter, but the litter itself has a typical smell. However, it generally doesn’t create any problems.
2. Tofucat Flushable Cat Litter
TofuCat Flushable Cat Litter is our editor’s pick among the cat litter available in the UK market. It is a planet-friendly product and includes ingredients like natural pea fiber, corn starch, etc. to make it more ecological in nature and suitable for your feline friend’s health also.
Furthermore, the activated charcoal in the ingredient helps to deodorize and purify the surrounding air atmosphere and make it comfortable to breathe.
Tofucat litter by Petnf quickly absorbs the liquid and keeps the litter box drier, it also helps in reducing the chance of getting litter stuck to your kitty’s body or box.
A friendly piece of advice for you is that you can use this litter for your kittens. Since it is made from natural raw material so in case your little feline friend swallows it then no need to worry as it won’t harm your kitty.
- As we know the ingredients include activated charcoal and fiber pea they work together in such a way that no bad odor or unwanted smell is trapped around the litter box, it also makes the environment fresh and comfortable to breathe.
- It is easy to clean the litter box because of the quickly absorbent fact it absorbs the liquid in a few seconds and clumps the small particles effectively.
- Effectively deodorize the soiled area very well and keep it fresh and hygienic for your kitty.
- The downside of this litter is in monetary terms it is a bit expensive but surely recommended as it is worth buying for better outcomes.
3. Fresh Paws Wood Pellet Cat Litter
The wood pellet by Fresh Paws is our best value pick among the best cat litter available in the UK market. If you want a high-quality product at a low cost then definitely try out this cat litter, it is made from 100% British softwood.
This cat litter includes active ingredients which fight against the microbes. bacteria and doesn’t allow the germs to form and generate an unpleasant smell in the box and create an unhygienic
surrounding in the house.
- Wood pellet litter is good at absorbing the liquid and soaking them very well, so this decreases the leakage issue.
- It does not include any flavor enhancer and gives a fresh pinewood smell to your kitty.
- Dirty litter can be dumped in your trash bin, or even it can be made for great compost.
- The downside of this cat litter is that it is non-clumping which means it can absorb the liquid very well but breaks down into smaller pieces and form a fine powder, and this makes it even more difficult to track the litter in the house.
4. Catsan Hygiene Cat Litter
One of the best cat litter in the UK market in terms of the hygienic matter is cat litter by Catsan. Its active ingredients stop the growth of the bacteria and keep the litter box hygienic.
This litter is suitable for both kittens and adult cats, thanks to its natural ingredients that help to absorb the waste before odor starts developing from it and unpleasant your feline friend’s surrounding and house environment too.
- When it comes in contact with liquid, it locks the moisture inside the granule so that a bad odor doesn’t form from waste.
- Its mineral shield plays a vital role in trapping the odor.
- This hygienic cat litter has low dust, so there are fewer chances that you will encounter dust clouds while pouring the litter into the box.
- It is non-clumping, so it takes more time to clean the tray properly, as clumps break down into pieces and then make it difficult to pick those breakable clumps with a scooper.
5. Catsan Natural Cat Litter
Natural Cat litters by Catsan store is a great choice for your feline friend and environment as it includes eco-friendly granules which form little clumps whenever it comes in contact with urine/liquid. Granules lock away moisture so that no bad odor is developed from urine.
This cat litter generates a pleasant natural aroma, and no dust clouds are formed while pouring the litter into the box. Natural aroma is good for your kitty’s health as they will inhale fresh air with no additives added to it.
- Cleaning is easy with Catsan Natural Cat Litter, to keep your feline friend clean and hygienic try to remove the waste regularly as this will help to create fresh surroundings for your kitty.
- Catsan is soft to your kitty’s paw and doesn’t stick. So no need to worry if your kitty is in a playful mood and digs more deeply in the box when she will come out low tracking will be found on the floor.
- It is 100% Biodegradable as made from plants.
- It is non-clumping, so you have to remove the waste regularly, and can’t wait for a week to change the used litter.
6. Pettex Pampuss Woodbase Cat Litter
Pampuss Woodbase Cat Litter is one of the top-selling cat litter in the UK market. It is made from leftover wood and is 100% biodegradable. Due to its lightweight factor, it is easy to pour into the litter pan.
The Pettex are easy to unload as they can be dumped in the trash bin or composted and a bonus factor of this litter is that no expiry date is there which means pellets don’t get soiled and can be used for a long period.
- This Woodbase cat litter absorbs the urine effectively, so no need to worry about the leakage issue.
- Litter ingredients include no glue, chemical formula, or other additives, so it traps the odor naturally with the help of pine wood.
- It absorbs the liquid and keeps the litter box drier for long period.
- It creates more waste as compared to other litter.
- This litter needs to be replaced regularly, which means you have to clean the whole box, just dumping the waste portion won’t help you to keep the surroundings odor-free.
7. Okoplus Cats Best Original Clumping Cat Litter
This original clumping cat litter by Okoplus is considered one of the best cat litter in the UK market. It is made from organic fiber and raw wood material is used in this litter, so it can be said that this litter is 100% biodegradable.
It is made from wood fiber, so its absorbing capacity is good enough, it binds the liquid and traps the odor effectively.
A suggestion for you on a regular basis if you remove the waste then no need to clean/refresh the whole litter pan for up to a week.
- It includes natural ingredients and traps the odor naturally, which is good for your feline health as they will not inhale any chemicals or additives.
- While pouring the litter in the pan, it doesn’t generate any dust.
- After using the box, your cat can freely roam in the house as no footprints are found on the floor.
- The downside of this litter is that it scatters around the litter box when your kitty steps out from the box, but after that, no tracking is found in the house.
8. Extra Select Hygiene Cat Litter
The Hygiene cat litter by Extra Select Store is a great choice to keep your kitty’s litter box clean and hygienic throughout the day. It is made from very fine granules which are extracted from natural silica sand and lime that help to absorb the liquid very quickly and create a spongy texture.
As we know, it absorbs moisture rapidly, which makes it easy to handle the soiled litter and can dispose of it in the trash bin in a hygienic way. In this way, it also prevents leakage issues.
- This litter is made from natural silica sand, so it helps to trap the bad odor.
- The Extra Select offer you hygienic litter which is long-lasting and also cheap in price as compared to other, so it can be said that is a cost-effective product.
- Since it is non-clumping litter, so you cannot scoop out the waste in one go, it requires more time in the cleaning procedure.
- It is low-dust in nature but still, you will find your kitty’s footprint all over the house if you’re not using a mat around the litter pan.
9. Breeder Celect Recycled Paper Cat Litter
Breeder Celect Recycled Paper Cat Litter is one of the best cat litter available in the UK. It is dust-free and suitable for every cat breed, especially for those breeds that have allergy issues. Cat litters by Breeder Celect are non-toxic, which means harmful chemical formulas or any other additives are not added to this litter.
Since it doesn’t include any additives, so there are no chances of generating artificial fragrances, and this is a good sign for your cat as they are highly sensitive in terms of smells so add-on fragrances might displease her.
- Naturally, trap the bad odor and provide a fresh environment for your kitty to do their business in the litter pan.
- As the litter is dust-free, so it is gentle on your feline paw and creates low tracking in the house.
- This wood pellet litter does a great job of absorbing the liquid and doesn’t break down easily, so quite manageable while cleaning.
- It does a great job in absorbing the urine but in terms of feces, you have to remove it immediately, or else it will stink the whole tray badly.
10. Amazon Basics Wood Pellets Cat Litter
The Wood Pellets Cat Litter by Amazon Basic is a great choice for your feline friend because it is made from 100% recycled wood and is ecological in nature. It has a natural wood smell that will keep your kitty fresh and happy, and she will not get cranky.
This cat litter has a high absorbent capacity that helps to keep litter dry and clean, it is long-lasting than other clay litter.
A friendly piece of advice for you is if you are using this litter for the first time, then try to add new litter to your current litter box every day. In this way, you can help your kitty to adapt to this new litter and get used to it.
- The cat litter is made from natural recycled wood, so it generates a fine, subtle fragrance that helps to trap the bad odor and keep the surroundings fresh.
- Wood pellets are good for your kitty’s paw as they will not hurt your feline friend’s paw.
- This cat litter is long-lasting as it comes in 30 liter bags.
- The snag of this cat litter is that it is non-clumping, which means it can absorb the urine, but there are high chances of breaking down into smaller pieces and this makes the cleaning procedure a bit lengthy.
11. Ultra Absorbent Wood Pellets Cat Litter
The Ultra Absorbent Wood litter by the Cj’s is one of the best cat litter available in the market. It is made from 100% pine woods and no chemical formula is added to its ingredient. This antimicrobic cat litter prevents forming germs or bacteria, as well as bad odors, which are eliminated not masked.
This litter includes a soft pine pellet, so it will not stick to your kitty’s paw and will not scatter on the floor. The bonus of this cat litter is that it is made from naturally grown trees, so it gives off the fresh smell of timber.
Here’s a tip for you to keep the litter clean, remove any waste left by your kitty, and then shake the tray to bring fresh litter to the surface.
- It is an eco-friendly cat litter so can be added to your regular household waste or else it makes for great compost as it is biodegradable in nature.
- This litter is ultra-absorbent in nature, so any liquid can be soaked up easily.
- No chemicals are added to bind the woods, it is 100% planet-friendly litter that is fit for your kitty’s health as well as for the planet.
- This cat litter is biodegradable, so it is non-clumping in nature and takes more time in scooping/clean the box.
How to Choose the Perfect Cat Litter?
Only buying a litter for your kitty will not complete your job, you have to go through the ingredients present in the litter and then match them with your feline friend preference. So you should have depth knowledge about litter texture, ingredients, odor, etc. That will help you to purchase wisely.
Scroll down to get in-depth knowledge about the common features that should be there while you purchase litter for your cat.
No matter how many times you clean/scoop your kitty’s litter box, you will miss some waste or tiny particles. That will generate a stinky smell and spoil the surroundings. As you know, cats have a sensitive sense of smell and if their pan or litter box smells bad or is dirty, then they will refuse to use it.
So before buying a litter for your feline friend make sure to check the ingredients included in it like activated carbon, as it plays a vital role in absorbing the bad odor and giving pleasant fresh surroundings.
It is advisable that always try to go for those litters which absorb the bad odor or ammonia odor without adding any artificial fragrances.
Cats generally avoid artificial fragrances because they can put them off, and they will avoid using the litter.
Have a look at the best inexpensive cat litter available on the market
Texture & Size
A litter size and texture matter because your kitty will walk on the litter to do its business and when they are in a playful mood they dig in the box. So it is important to go for soft litter which will not hurt your cat’s paw as they are sensitive.
There is no specific texture it depends upon the ingredients from which litter is made and different cats have different preferences. So you have to do some trials with your kitty and then add suitable ones for them.
The size of the litter varies from very small to larger ones. According to the current survey, it has been observed that large size litter is preferable to small one because it tracks less outside the box. For large hair cats, it is more beneficial as it will not stick to their body.
Clumping or Non-clumping
This factor totally depends on you and your cat which one is preferable. Clumping litter includes an ingredient that helps to soak the liquid and form hard clumps, which makes cleaning/scooping easy, and you don’t need to replace the whole litter every day.
Whereas non-clumping is generally biodegradable in nature, it only soaks the liquid and does not form any clumps which take more time to clean as you cannot scoop out the waste quickly.
Check out the best scoop for cat litter available in the market.
Eco-friendly Cat Litter
Before buying litter for your feline friend, don’t forget to check the ingredients. Here’s advice for you try to go for those litters which have natural ingredients in them like recycled material, are biodegradable in nature as they will not harm your kitty’s health, and will naturally trap the bad odor without adding any artificial fragrances.
While buying litter for your cat, one more important thing to keep in m find is that it should provide low tracking benefits. Try to go for litters that provide low dust and can absorb the waste quickly so that there are fewer chances for your cat to keep her paw in wet areas.
FAQs About Cat Litter
Which is the best cat litter in the UK?
Precious Cat Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Cat Litter and TofuCat Flushable cat litter are considered one of the best cat litter in the UK market. They are perfect for your feline friend to be in terms of health, fresh surroundings, etc. to do their business. For cat parents also, it is a great choice as it offers low tracking and soiled litter can be easily scooped out of the box.
How much does a cat litter cost in the UK?
Litter is one of the essential items cat parents need to add to their checklist. In the UK market, it generally costs you between 4-51 pounds to give your kitty a fresh and hygienic surrounding to do their business.
How much cat litter should I use?
Generally, it is recommended to use up to two to three inches of litter. Solely depend upon your kitty’s behavior, if they tend to scratch deeply then use three to four inches, it will prevent the litter box from getting damaged. Initially start with two inches and then notice how your feline friend behaves, so keep on experimenting until you get an idea of how much depth is required for your cat.
Can I put cat litter in the garbage?
You can dump your kitty’s litter in the trash bin, all you need to do is carefully scoop out the urine clumps and feces and sift it into the trash bag. Make sure that you use heavy/strong trash bags because litters get heavy, especially clay litter, so there is a chance that it may fall off from the bag.
What happens if I put cat litter down the toilet?
A big no, even water authorities have passed the message that you should never flush your cat litter down the toilet. It can block sewer pipe as well as your home toilets pipe also. Clog pipes create smell problems and damage your septic system.
Our overall best choice for the best cat litter in the UK is Precious Cat Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Cat Litter. This cat litter is low in dust and free from any additives, or chemical formula, and contain a natural odor to reduce stress and give fresh surrounding to your kitty.
In monetary terms, our budget-friendly pickup choice is Fresh Paws Wood Pellet Cat Litter. It’s a UK production and active ingredients of this litter help to fight against microbes, bacteria and doesn’t allow the germs to generate unwanted smells.
Expectantly, our review will help you to select the correct one for your feline friend.